Tuesday, 6 September 2016

They looked at me and laughed

They looked at me and laughed
They said I must be daft
There's no place here for rhymers
Especially you old timers
Here's the sad and lonely truth
Festivals for youths

You should have left it well alone
Stayed inside your old folks home
With your ginger nuts and tea
Writing poetry
Smelling like some old urinal
Your resting place it will be final!

I said that I'm a poet
I tried to go and show it
I'm writing things that rhyme
They said don't waste your time
That genre's old and done
No one thinks it fun!

Anymore it's all over
I'm searching in the clover
It'll be a little gem
It'll be just one of them
That fires imagination
Fills with adulation

The one that comes with all the flare
You'll be there to stand and stare
You'll know it when you see it
You'll see it when you hear it
A rhyme that I confirm
Will be born an ear worm

People they will love it
They'll try and rise above it
But they won't it's been instilled
Over powering all their wills
And you'll all change your tunes
When I make my first fortune.

But I'll probably never find it
And you'll just keep reminding
That I was always lost
Like limp salad never tossed
You should have left it well alone
Stayed inside your old folks home

With your ginger nuts and tea
Writing poetry
Smelling like some old urinal
Your resting place it will be final
And here it is your epitaph
They looked at me and laughed!

No comments:

Post a Comment